I was looking for my set of netting needles, digging through some old boxes that have been stored for years, and found this old bit of crochet I did 15 to 18 years ago. I thought it would be interesting to try crocheting with carpenter’s twine, the stuff we used to mark off corners on construction sites. I’d completely forgotten about it. I keep thinking I should learn to crochet for real, so that I’ll have maximum flexibility of technique when I want to make a hat or whatever. Anyway, this was a bit of fun from a previous run at learning a “yarn craft.” I did find my netting needles. I have an idea for a hat that will have a netting top and a knitted headband…
I finally got some pictures of THoMC. Obviously, a work in progress. As of this photo this afternoon, I was about 3 and a half inches beyond the base of the i-cord. I’m down to 4 inches now and working on the next increase. This one is going to be 138 stitches when it is done, and it was at 48 in these photos. I’m at 64 now, and have switched to 5 needles. I’m also a little tippsy, so no telling if those numbers were deadon.
Some helpful folks on Ravelry’s Men Who Knit group (and my patient wife) helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. I was knitting on the wrong side of the triangle. Now that I’ve got that sorted out, I have to get my tension under control. I’m knitting so tightly that I can barely do the increases.
I cast on a new hat last night, but as soon as I got to the end of the i-cord, and started my increases, I realized that the wrong side of the hat was on the outside, rather than safely inside, as it should have been. I must be making the transition from 2 to 4 dpn incorrectly.
I stitched up the hat tonight during commercial breaks (of which there were several) while watching The Sarah Conner Chronicles. It actually fits me! Pix will follow as soon as I get around to it. (in tech circles this would be known as “RSN.”
I figured from context that “frogging” something meant tearing it out, but until Mcchase enlightened me, I’d no idea where the usage came from. Imagine my chagrin when I realized that I hadn’t figured out the joke on my own.
rip it, rip it, rip it!
I thought I post something quick about the Hat That Might Fit Andre the Giant. This was my first attempt at a hat, and I had fun making it, but I wasn’t concentrating during the time I really should have been, and the result is… shall we say… interesting. This was supposed to be a basic dome-shaped hat. It starts with an i-cord, then works in the round on dpn until it gets big enough to switch to a flexible cable (I use Denise cables at the moment). Analyzing the work after the fact, I figured out that I’d joined the double-pointed needles backwards, then somehow switched direction a few rows down, then lost track of my increases and made far too many. I was concentrating on the dpn, which is the first time I’d ever used them, and I failed to stop and count my stitches. I ended up with something like 18 stitches too many. Because of the overabundance of increases, the hat ended up with a flat crown. It actually looks kind of fun, but despite doing decreases and switching to much smaller needles down near the brim, the thing is just too big. You can sort of wear it like a tam, but it is a bit lady-like for me. I showed it to the ladies at the Golden Bobbins meeting, and they made nice comments about it, but it won’t be anything but a curiosity. Sumi was sweet enough to ask for the pattern, but since it is basically a collection of random stitches, there isn’t one!
Everyone’s favorite feature was the I-cord thing on top! 🙂
A quick check-in on the Bulky Hat project I started Friday night. I struggled with the “knit and purl into the same stitch” increase in this top-down hat, something I found on Ravelry, titled “Bulky Knitted Hat by Kristin Omdahl.” I think I had a lot of trouble with the increase because I’d just learned an increase that was “knit into the front and back.” Once I got past the increases, I switched from English (which I’m comfortable with) to Continental-style knitting (which I’m learning). I used the Norwegian purl on this section, since it is k1 p1 ribbing, and once I got going, it was as quick as I’d hoped it would be. But I have to concentrate. I found a reversed stitch about 6 rows back (three knits in a row) and Myrriah showed me how to place a stitch holder, then drop down to the mistake, fix it, and use a crochet hook to bring the stitch back up to the needles. On this style, it was easy. I can imagine how much harder it would be on garter stitch, where you are having to reverse direction each row.