The pair of Dashing fingerless gloves that I finished recently is washed, blocked, and ready to send off to Massachusetts.
I think that I blocked these a little too large. I’ll have to write up some directions for the recipient so that she can “smallify” them if she needs to.
I took the opportunity to experiment with my idea for a “top” gusset to add some flex and reduce strain in the web of the thumb. Here’s a closeup of the gusset. Sorry for the less-than-ideal lighting. I need to practice getting better closeups of knitted fabric.
Instead of casting on a single stitch across the gap (after moving thumb stitches to waste yarn) I cast on 4 or 5 stitches, then gradually decreased them as I worked up the thumb and palm.
I’m in the midst of last-second holiday gift knitting… not really my style, I’m more of a slo-mo knitter and not much of a holiday or gift-giving type, either. In any case, I whipped up a pair of super-bulky mittens.
My wife looked at them and said something to the effect of “if you’re going to be an excellent knitter, you’re going to have to try for excellence every time.”
She’s right, these are not my best work. I was rushing and don’t like the yarn much, and due to lack of attention ended up with one mitten having an extra 4 rows. With yarn this big, it translates to something like 3/4 of an inch of difference between the two.
I will do better! No sloppy knitting for me. My apologies to the recipient… I promise to make a better pair for you!
(below is the second pair I made… for another recipient… more care taken)
I started my second pair of mitts and have a couple of WIP photos to share…
I think things are going okay. I only had to tink one row so far when I forgot to start my cable. I might also have skipped a row, I was trying to keep knitting even though I was falling asleep last night!