The Hat That Might Fit a Giant

I thought I post something quick about the Hat That Might Fit Andre the Giant. This was my first attempt at a hat, and I had fun making it, but I wasn’t concentrating during the time I really should have been, and the result is… shall we say… interesting. This was supposed to be a basic dome-shaped hat. It starts with an i-cord, then works in the round on dpn until it gets big enough to switch to a flexible cable (I use Denise cables at the moment). Analyzing the work after the fact, I figured out that I’d joined the double-pointed needles backwards, then somehow switched direction a few rows down, then lost track of my increases and made far too many. I was concentrating on the dpn, which is the first time I’d ever used them, and I failed to stop and count my stitches. I ended up with something like 18 stitches too many. Because of the overabundance of increases, the hat ended up with a flat crown. It actually looks kind of fun, but despite doing decreases and switching to much smaller needles down near the brim, the thing is just too big. You can sort of wear it like a tam, but it is a bit lady-like for me. I showed it to the ladies at the Golden Bobbins meeting, and they made nice comments about it, but it won’t be anything but a curiosity. Sumi was sweet enough to ask for the pattern, but since it is basically a collection of random stitches, there isn’t one!

Everyone’s favorite feature was the I-cord thing on top! 🙂

Progress on the Bulky Hat

Bulky Knitted Hat in ProgressA quick check-in on the Bulky Hat project I started Friday night. I struggled with the “knit and purl into the same stitch” increase in this top-down hat, something I found on Ravelry, titled “Bulky Knitted Hat by Kristin Omdahl.” I think I had a lot of trouble with the increase because I’d just learned an increase that was “knit into the front and back.” Once I got past the increases, I switched from English (which I’m comfortable with) to Continental-style knitting (which I’m learning). I used the Norwegian purl on this section, since it is k1 p1 ribbing, and once I got going, it was as quick as I’d hoped it would be. But I have to concentrate. I found a reversed stitch about 6 rows back (three knits in a row) and Myrriah showed me how to place a stitch holder, then drop down to the mistake, fix it, and use a crochet hook to bring the stitch back up to the needles. On this style, it was easy. I can imagine how much harder it would be on garter stitch, where you are having to reverse direction each row.