I’ve been thinking about old-time stocking caps for a couple of years, the kind that people are shown as wearing to bed in old illustrations, such as for A Christmas Carol, and finally decided to develop one myself. I started with an i-cord, then began increasing once every second row. I had four balls of Dale of Norway yarn that I picked up when a LYS closed down. The yarn turned out to be perfect for this project, as it gave a very smooth finish.
|From Knitting projects|
For the stripes, I had a vague idea of using the Fibonacci sequence, a mathematical progression where you add the previous number to the current item in the series (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 …) but as the result of several incidents of severe distraction, I end up with something closer to random stripe widths. I did better on the ribbing section for the brim. I still need to add some golden jinglebells to the end of the cap, for the full silly experience. Hoping to give this as a present for Yule this year.