I am still moving along on my “11 mittens in 2011” project, albeit slowly. My most recent FO is a pair I’m calling “Gloaming,*” and made from a very, very popular mitten pattern called Bella’s Mittens. I’m planning to send these off to the Great Frozen North of central New Hampshire.
This pattern was easy to follow, and if you’ve done any cables at all, I think you’ll find these to be very easy. If you’ve done lots of cables, you’ll probably be able to memorize the repeat after one or two times. I really like this project and suspect I’ll do more.
As is so often the case, I customized the thumb of the first mitten, didn’t take any notes… and couldn’t recall exactly what I’d done for the second thumb. No worries; they both seem to fit a wide variety of hands, but it would have been nice to have some notes.
The pair of Dashing fingerless gloves that I finished recently is washed, blocked, and ready to send off to Massachusetts.
I think that I blocked these a little too large. I’ll have to write up some directions for the recipient so that she can “smallify” them if she needs to.
I took the opportunity to experiment with my idea for a “top” gusset to add some flex and reduce strain in the web of the thumb. Here’s a closeup of the gusset. Sorry for the less-than-ideal lighting. I need to practice getting better closeups of knitted fabric.
Instead of casting on a single stitch across the gap (after moving thumb stitches to waste yarn) I cast on 4 or 5 stitches, then gradually decreased them as I worked up the thumb and palm.
Myr decided to make a half dozen knitted ornaments… or possibly knitted covers for ornaments, to be precise. After casting on for three different ornaments from online patterns, none of which were working, she broke out the pencil and paper and designed her own. She enlisted my help since I knit in the round a lot and she rarely or never does. I did the top half of the item and she finished it on the back-and-forth part and sewed the seam.
Life intervened, and we only got this one ornament done… and not until after Christmas. I’ll rate this as a “great first effort.”